What should I do if a Special Agent visits me?

7. What should I do if a Special Agent visits me?

The Internal Revenue Service has a Criminal Investigation Division, the sole purpose of which is to put people in jail. They will investigate leads from various sources, and recommend certain cases for criminal prosecution by the U.S. Justice Department. Their conviction rate is very high, and the appearance of a Special Agent is extremely serious. Under no circumstances should you talk to the CID—just take their business card, close the door, and call your attorney. Everyone thinks he or she is innocent; but the IRS is not paid to believe you!

Previous FAQ: My taxes are old. Is there a statute of limitations?

Next FAQ: The business I own (or just work for) owes employment taxes—what should I do to protect myself?

Contact Jeffrey L. Cohen for a Free Phone Consultation

For a free phone consultation with an experienced tax law, business law and estate planning lawyer, call Jeffrey Cohen today at 404-937-1414. You may also contact us online to discuss your business, tax or estate planning needs. Mr. Cohen’s tax and business law firm online.

* indicates required field
Please be sure to read our disclaimer regarding contact through the online contact form.