offer in compromise

What is an Offer in Compromise?

If you owe back taxes to the IRS or to the Georgia Department of Revenue, your ears may be tickled by radio and TV commercials that appear to claim that you can “resolve tax debts for pennies on the dollar.” In fact, only a small percentage of cases qualify for that level of back tax reduction. Tax settlement firms that advertise this way are primarily interested in the large fees they will charge new clients, seemingly without regard to the actual viability of the “pennies on the dollar” claim on most people’s unpaid tax situations.

Your Offer in Compromise Attorney Should Advocate in Your Best Interests

A principled attorney such as Jeffrey L. Cohen, on the other hand, is in the practice of law for the purpose of advocating on clients’ best interests. Attorney Cohen takes seriously the phone consultation and case evaluation that helps determine the best path for each client who owes back taxes. He screens potential clients carefully in order to confidently predict which ones he can help before encouraging them to hire him to negotiate with the IRS. In many cases, the most promising path forward for clients owing large amounts of back taxes is to negotiate an offer in compromise with the IRS. This is where tax lawyer Jeffrey L. Cohen’s 30 years of experience serves the interests of clients of this law firm. In the words of the IRS, “An offer in compromise (OIC) is an agreement between a taxpayer and the Internal Revenue Service that settles the taxpayer’s tax liabilities for less than the full amount owed.” Negotiating the amount to be paid and a viable payment plan is a job for an attorney with ample experience dealing with IRS agents.

Resolve IRS Tax Problems With Guidance From Fulton County Tax Law Attorney Jeffrey L. Cohen

Are you looking for a knowledgeable and effective Atlanta attorney for offer in compromise representation before the IRS? For more information and insight into tax law issues, see attorney Cohen’s articles and answers to frequently asked questions ( FAQs) on this website. To schedule a Free Phone Consultation regarding unpaid back taxes, call Mr. Cohen or send him an e-mail through this website.